What is Septic Shock?
Septic shock is a serious medical condition that can sometimes be fatal. The condition is a fairly common one, though it can be avoided. It is a body-wide infection, which can start out as a virus or bacteria, that spreads to the rest of the body and causes abnormally low blood pressure. Septic shock occurs most often in those who have weakened immune systems. It is often accompanied by reduced blood pressure and flow throughout the body and can result in a loss of limbs or death. Still, septic shock doesn't have to be fatal if caught early and treated.
People who have been hospitalized for extended periods of time are at a potentially high risk of developing severe sepsis or septic shock. If you're in the hospital for an extended period of time, take care to read on for tips.
What Are the Risk Factors for Septic Shock?
The risk factors for septic shock are diabetes, recent surgery or medical procedures, leukemia, lymphoma, and/or recent infections. The symptoms are shortness of breath, cool, pale arms and legs, high or very low temperature, light-headedness, little or no urine, low blood pressure, etc.
Treating Septic Shock And Its Symptoms, May Prove Difficult But Are Not Impossible.
Since septic shock is a medical emergency; patients might be taken to the ICU for treatment. Depending on what caused the sepsis, patient may be treated differently. Treatment could include but is not limited to oxygen therapy and increasing blood flow by using inotropic medicines and vasopressors (like dobutamine and sopamine).
You may be on antibiotics if your doctor determines this is the right course for you. You may need surgery. All in all, if the problem is diagnosed early, then treatment is more likely to succeed.
How is Septic Shock Prevented and Treated?
Early diagnosis and intervention by hospital heathcare providers is critical. If doctors ignore the signs and symptoms of infection, it can lead to sepsis and septic shock even if the patient is already hospitalized. Sometimes this means the primary doctor or hospitalist did not consult with an infectious disease specialist or did not review the lab results that showed signs of infection.
When we see a case of medical malpractice because a patient developed septic shock that led to death or loss of limbs, it is most likely due to the doctors and nurses not recognizing the signs and symptoms of septic shock or infection and not starting treatment.
Have You Or a Loved One Experienced Septic Shock?
If you or a loved one have been in the hospital and experienced septic shock, you may want to have your case investigated to see if you have a medical malpractice claim. The first step to having your case evaluated is to request your medical records. We also recommend reading through our short, downloadable guide 7 Symptoms of Medical Malpractice that will help you identify if things went wrong at a hospital or with a provider.
Ready to Speak With An Experienced Case Assessment Specialist Now?
Contact us at 202-393-3320 right now to speak with a real person who wants to hear your story. They will get you started on your road to success and help you find the right solutions to your specific issue.