Contact The Police After an Accident, No Matter How Small the Accident

If you've been in a car accident, you will want to contact the police no matter how small the accident. The police will be able to tell you who is at fault and may issue a citation to the at-fault driver and will later be able to provide a report to that effect. If you are not at fault, you will need this information to bring to the insurance company or attorney after the fact in order to establish who was at fault. The other driver's insurance company may accept responsibility without it, but you will want the police report in your possession just in case. It's also likely that any attorney you contact to assist you with your claim will also want to see the police report before moving forward.

How Do I Get My Police Report?

Getting your police report should be as simple as calling the local police department and requesting it, or going online and requesting it. You will want to have the names of both parties and the date of the accident handy. The police department should have your report ready within a few days of the accident. 

If You've Been in a Serious Accident, You May Need an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer

You've done all the right things. You got the police report, took photos of the accident, refused to give a recorded statement to the adjuster. So why would you need a lawyer? If you don't have serious injuries and you won't be out of work for long, you probably don't need a lawyer. But, if you have serious injuries and a lot of medical treatment, and will be out of work for awhile, you might need a car accident lawyer to help you with your claim and to negotiate a settlement. At Donahoe Kearney we help people manage their medical record and bills, submit them to the insurance adjuster, deal with liens and subrogation, and finally negotiate a settlement. Make sure you are getting everything you need at settlement to cover your past and future expenses, account for missed work, and satisy liens. Contact Donahoe Kearney at 202-393-3320 today if you have been seriously injured; we'll take care of you from start to finish.

Frank R. Kearney, Attorney-at-Law
Connect with me
Experienced DC Workers' Comp, Long Term Disability & Accident Lawyer