Is Your Teenager Being Distracted While Driving in DC, Maryland, Or Virginia?
Teen drivers are at greater risk for driving distracted. It happens when teens are driving with other teens, using a cell phone, and engaging in other behaviors that can cause car accidents. Distracted driving is compounded because teens are inexperienced drivers, and statistically the group most likely to cause a car accident. According to the NHTSA, there are 13 factors that are the cause of distracted driving and more importantly, these factors are completely preventable.
Here is the list of the 13 specific factors that cause distracted driving in teens provided by NHTSA:
- Cell phones, pagers, navigation systems, and iPods (and radio).
- Grooming (adults do this as well).
- Adjusting the radio-- changing the channel, changing CDs, and adjusting and iPod (adults are guilty of this as well).
- Occupants-- other teens, infants, children, and adults.
- Eating and drinking (again, adults do this as well).
- Adjusting vehicle controls-- heat/air conditioning, tilt of steering wheel, mirrors, seat position, dash light brightness, etc.
- Pets that are not contained.
- Reaching for objects.
- A crash scene (rubber necking).
- Road construction.
- People, places or things of interest alongside of the road.
To help reduce the number of teen accidents, parents please share this list with your teen drivers. Help them practice safe driving habits. Also have your teen take the pledge to not text and drive-- it can wait. We live in an area with a lot of traffic - on the Beltway, 295, 270, 66 - any major road or highway. Get the word out and help prevent accidents on our roads in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
Did A Distracted Driver Hit You in DC, Maryland, or Virginia?
If you've been hit by a distracted driver, you need experienced car accident lawyers to help you work through it. Contact us today at 202-393-3320 to get started. We will help you understand how to get started, what goes into a car accident case, and why an experienced car accident lawyer makes all the difference.