Cerebral Palsy—a result of Medical Malpractice

Your child was just diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Now what? What does that mean for you and your child in the future? Will you be able to financially and emotionally support your child? What can you do to ensure a bright future for your special needs child?

Cerebral palsy is a disorder that results from the abnormal development to areas of the brain that control the motor function. It can be caused by head injuries, lack of oxygen in the brain, infection in the mother during pregnancy, etc.

One of most unfortunate causes of cerebral palsy is medical negligence. Maybe the doctor did not follow up on test results and so was not able to detect the infection in time. Or, maybe the doctor and nurses failed to follow standard patient care during the time the mother was in labor. There are so many little errors that can cause damage to the infant’s brain.

If medical negligence was the cause of cerebral palsy, the family has the right to be financially compensated for the child’s special needs.

The fact is, sometimes a disabled child’s needs are overwhelming. Your child may need to be fed, dressed, bathed, exercised, changed and carried. You constantly worry about paying for the medical care, physical therapy and medical equipment. Cerebral palsy is a lifelong disorder and the goal of treatments like physical therapy is to help the person be as independent as possible.

It is important to recognize that you have options to help your child lead a more secure life.  Legal intervention could help you to acquire the funds necessary to pay for your child’s needs, especially when you are not there to provide for them.  You need to help ensure that your child can one day live on his/her own or afford the assistance of a caretaker or nurse.

Take the necessary steps to investigate whether or not your child was a victim of medical negligence. Call us at (202)393-3320 today. The longer you wait, the longer your child needs to wait before receiving the financial compensation you and your child is entitled to.