What should I do if I am hurt at work in D.C., Virginia or Maryland?

Get The Help You Need Now
Contact us directly 202-393-3320

If you are hurt on the job, get the medical treatment you need. In the District of Columbia and Maryland, an injured worker is entitled to choose his or her own treating physician; injured workers are not obligated to treat with the workers compensation insurance company or employer's doctor. In Virginia, the insurance company must offer a panel of three doctors to choose from.

You must notify your employer of your work injury within 30 days and should complete any accident or injury reports. If you do not notify your employer of your injury within 30 days, the insurance company may use this to deny your benefits.

You will have to file a workers compensation claim in D.C., Maryland and Virginia - the workers comp insurance company or your employer will not do it for you.

But make sure you file in the right place - filing in the wrong state could cost you hundreds of dollars - every week.  Insurance companies know this and will try to get you to file a D.C. case in Maryland just because you live there, even though you work in D.C.

So don't do anything until you read our book and learn about the tricks and traps of the workers comp system.

For questions about the specifics of filing your workers compensation claim (or where to file it - because the benefits are different in D.C., Virginia and Maryland) call us at 202-393-3320.

Frank R. Kearney, Attorney-at-Law
Connect with me
Experienced DC Workers' Comp, Long Term Disability & Accident Lawyer