Should you sign the forms the workers' comp insurance company sends?

Get The Help You Need Now
Contact us directly 202-393-3320

No - at least not without talking to an experienced, trustworthy workers' comp lawyer.  Many people we talk to think that just signing and returning some paperwork to the insurance company after a work injury is enough to file your claim for workers' comp benefits. 

It's not.

You or your lawyer has to file your claim for workers' comp benefits.  Submitting forms, exchanging information, keeping the insurance company updated on your medical treatment, talking to the adjuster or insurance company nurse - none of that constitutes filing your workers' comp claim.

And if you don't file it in time?  Your case may be over.

So what do you have to do to make sure you can get the medical treatment - doctor's visits, surgery, therapy, diagnostic tests, referrals to specialists, plus the weekly income replacement benefits you and your family rely on when you can't work because of your injury?

You have to file your workers' comp claim.  Not the insurance company.

This means filing it with the correct workers' compensation agency - not the insurance company - and in D.C., that means the D.C. Office of Workers' Compensation.  In Maryland and Virginia, it is the workers' compensation commission.

If you're not sure if you've filed your workers' compensation claim after a serious injury, call us at 202-393-3320 or send us an email at [email protected] so we can help you figure that out and what to do about it.

If you're not sure, don't wait until it is too late.  Contact us today.



Frank R. Kearney, Attorney-at-Law
Connect with me
Experienced DC Workers' Comp, Long Term Disability & Accident Lawyer