D.C. Maryland and Virginia medical malpractice, accidents and work injuries questions answered by D.C. injury attorneys.

Get The Help You Need Now
Contact us directly 202-393-3320

Here are some of the questions people have when they first contact us about D.C., Maryland and Virginia medical malpractice, serious car accidents or workers compensation.

We try to provide as much information as we can based on our experience as medical malpractice lawyers in D.C., Maryland and Virginia and based on representing many hundreds of people who have been injured in accidents or at work in D.C., Maryland and Virginia. 

Here are the basics:

Patients permanently injured by medical malpractice, or the families of patients killed because of medical negligence, when a hospital, HMO or healthcare corporation doesn't follow basic patient safety rules deserve justice - resources to help with the harms and losses due to the  injuries or death of their loved one. 
Drivers who don't follow the rules of the road, driving recklessly, driving drunk, speeding, and texting should be accountable for the harm they cause when their actions cause a car accident or wreck.

Workers hurt on the job deserve workers compensation benefits for lost wages, medical treatment and permanent injuries.  If a worker is killed on the job, his family deserves workers compensation death benefits - to at least help with the financial loss of a loved one.
But since every person is unique, if you have questions or need information about an injury or death in your family, please contact us to talk it through.  We'll talk to you, schedule a free initial meeting and give you all the information we can.

  • Page 1
  • If You Have Been Affected By Medical Malpractice, You Need Resources.

    If You Have Been Affected By Medical Malpractice, You Need Resources.

    Medical malpractice - mistakes by hospitals, HMOs and doctors when they don't follow the rules to keep patients safe - obviously harms and hurts the patient they injure.

    But medical malpractice has a broad affect on the injured patient's family as well.

    We've represented people who have had a severe brain injury in a hospital and need 24/7 care.  In one case, the father had to quit his job and start a new business so he could be home to help care for his adult daughter.  The family had to convert a first floor room into a hospital room to fit the wheelchair, hospital bed, medical equipment and supplies their daughter needs. Their credit is shot - because Medicaid never pays for everything they need.

    Plus, Medicaid never provides the amount of nursing care to take care of someone who needs around the clock care.  And nurses can quit or not show up, leaving the family in a bind where they can't go to work, can't attend the other kids' activities, or even go out for dinner or a movie.

    We can help get families affected by medical malpractice the resources they need to make their lives better.  You can start today by calling us at (202) 393-3320 to confidentially, discreetly discuss your family's situation.

    And you can order two of our publications for free:  Picking Up the Pieces: A Parent's Guide to Medical Malpractice and Getting Everything Your Special Needs Child Deserves.

    Both are written based on our experience working with families affected by medical malpractice in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.

    Don't wait.  There are time limits for everything.  So get started getting help for your family today.

  • In a medical malpractice case for a child who is disabled and can't talk, how do you prove his pain as one of his damages?

    We represent a number of children who can't talk because of their disability and cerebral palsy due to a birth injury.  And the child can usually communicate with his or her mother because the mom has been caring for the child for years and knows his or her needs and how the child feels and what the child wants, but how do you show that to a jury in a medical malpractice case?  Sometimes the jury will see the child briefly but usually there are doctors or expert witnesses who have examined the child and reviewed his medical records and treatment and can testify about his ability to feel pain.

    The child may be taking pain medications or have some medical therapies addressed to pain.  And the parents, brothers, sisters and care givers can usually tell when the child is in pain from his or her condition as well.

    There is no one approach - all of these should be used to accurately and thoroughly show the child's pain in a medical malpractice case.Have you met Angela? Here's a real-life story about Cerebral Palsy in Washington, DC.

  • What can I do to protect myself from medical malpractice injuries?

    Medical malpractice happens when a doctor, HMO, nurse, healthcare provider makes a conscious choice that puts your safety at risk: this could be anything from failing to follow a checklist or neglecting to follow up on a test result. It could be a computer entry error with no back-up system to catch mistakes. It could be a resident who doesn’t call an attending physician when there is a complication he can’t handle. It could be a system where specialists are not called in to timely evaluate conditions that are outside of a hospitalist’s expertise. So how do you prevent that from happening?

    Be an advocate for yourself (if you’re able to) and get an advocate who know what’s going on at all times.

    This can be a spouse, sibling, or a trusted friend.  They don’t need a medical background (but that would help). You need someone with common sense who can ask: Why are you being treated? What drugs are being prescribed to you? What amount of that drug are you getting? Is the doctor paying attention to you? Are you getting referrals or consults with specialists?

    In other words, someone who will speak up for the patient and isn’t afraid to question the doctors, nurses and staff.

    We’ve all been conditioned to think the doctor is always right, because most of the time he or she is. But modern medicine is different – sometimes hospitals, HMO,s and healthcare corporations put don’t have procedures that help avoid or catch medical mistakes. And they are supposed to - it's called Patient Safety Rules.

    If you suspect that your injury or your loved one’s injury was caused by the negligence of  a doctor, HMO, hospital, or nurse, learn more by ordering your free copy of one of our informative Consumer Guides (Please list these and link them) or call us at (202) 393-3320  and we’ll send you the information you need to make informed decisions – for free, with no obligation (while supplies last).

  • Questions about medical malpractice involving a child?


    Any time a child is injured in a hospital or develops an irreversible condition after a hospital stay, parents, grandparents and relatives often wonder if the condition or injury should have been prevented.

    You do your best to get your children to the best hospitals and medical care, but still you worry that the hospital, HMO or doctors didn't do what they were supposed to.

    As a parent, how will you know if your child's condition or injury was caused by a hospital, HMO or doctor?

    Start by reading Picking up the Pieces After Medical Malpractice: A Parent's Guide.  This guide, written by practicing medical malpractice attorneys in D.C. will get you started.  It won't give you all the answers - no guide or book can, but it will give you practical advice on what to do next to get your questions answered and help your child and your family.

    The guide is a free gift.  Order it today or call us at (202) 393 - 3320 and we'll send it to you.

  • As medical malpractice lawyers, do you help your clients find resources once their case is over.

    Absolutely - we tell our clients we are their lawyers for life.  After their medical malpractice case settles, we help them find the right specialists for their needs and what they want to do.  Sometimes that means a lawyer specializing in trusts or probate, or a structured settlement broker to get the best rates on annuities if that is part of the settlement.

    For children with special needs, such as cerebral palsy or developmental delays, we published a handbook and list of resources for parents of special needs children, Getting Everything Your Special Needs Child Deserves, a handbook full of ideas, programs and resources in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.  Health care, social security, respite care, camps and much more is included.  And we send it to parents of special needs children for free - it doesn't matter what the cause of the child's disability or whether they were our client.

    We provide these "extras" because we can.  We've been fortunate to work for many parents caring for special needs children, and they've taught us a lot.  Rather than pour money into advertising for medical malpractice cases or run t.v. commercials telling you to call a lawyer if your child has cerebral palsy (not our style) we'd rather develop and publish information that can help you.

    You can order a free copy of the resource guide on the website or by calling (202) 393-3320. 

  • There are a lot of issues regarding your child's education, benefits and medical care.

    There are certain protections, resources and benefits available in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia for children who are severely disabled and their parents.

    Social Security benefits are available for severely disabled children in the form of supplemental security income, usually called SSI.  This is administered through the social security administration and is designed to provide a monthly amount for food, clothing and shelter.

    Medicaid is a state run program providing medical assistance and paying for medical treatment.

    If your child's disability was caused by medical malpractice, and you settle a medical malpractice case, there are different options, such as a special needs trust, to protect that money and remain eligible for SSI and Medicaid. You can use this trust to use the settlement proceeds for supplemental needs, and programs and resources your child will need such as transportation, a handicap accessible home, camps, computers, and other goods and services that will enrich your child's life (and hopefully make yours easier).

    There are a lot of issues regarding your child's education, benefits and medical care. 

    Need more information on resources and programs for children with special needs?  Call for your free guide to resources in the Washington, D.C. area that we wrote and published - its based on our work helping parents and children with special needs.

    Order your free, no obligation guide to resources by calling us at (202) 393-3320 or send an email with your address to [email protected] and we'll send it right out to you.

  • A mom with a developmentally-delayed child asks: What is respite care?

     What is respite care?

    Respite care is a break for parents and grandparents of children with special needs.  It is basically a qualified caregiver stepping in to take care of your child with special needs - whether he is in a wheelchair, has cerebral palsy, is developmentally delayed, etc. - so you can get a break to run errands, go to the movies, go out to dinner.

    Its great for both the parents and the child.  The parents get a break that helps them re-charge and better care for their child and the child gets to see someone new but experienced with helping disabled children.

    We always encourage the parents we work with to get and use respite care (if the medical system caused the child's condition, we make respite care part of the damages the family suffered).

    Interested?  Call us today at (202) 393 - 3320 for our free guide to resources in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.  No obligation - this is an absolutely free gift to parents and grandparents caring for a special child. 

    If this is you or someone you know, call today for your no obligation, free gift. 

  • With so many choices, how can I choose the best lawyer for a medical malpractice case in D.C.?


    We hear that a lot.  How do you know which lawyer is best for your medical malpractice case in D.C., Maryland and Virginia?

    For a serious case involving wrongful death, paralysis, cerebral palsy, cancer misdiagnosis, etc. the main qualification you want in a medical malpractice lawyer is experience.  Not how old he or she is, or how big their office is or how fancy the paintings on the wall are.  What kind of experience?

    Here are a few questions to ask a medical malpractice attorney (and there are many more):
    How many times has the lawyer prepared a medical malpractice case - investigated the case, hired the right experts to evaluate the case and testify at trial?  Then prepared the experts for their depositions (a critical step) and taken the depositions of the defendant's expert witnesses?

    How many times has the lawyer sued this hospital, HMO, insurance company before?  How did it go?   

    Has the lawyer tried medical malpractice cases to verdict?  Has he appealed or had cases appealed after trial?

    Has the lawyer settled medical malpractice cases with this hospital, HMO or insurance company?

    Is the lawyer board certified?  Did he or she go through a process including an all day test, recommendations from judges and other lawyers to do so?

    Do you trust that the lawyer can help you and your family, that he or she will listen and guide you through a difficult time?    

    The bottom line is that for any serious medical malpractice case, you need someone with very specific experience, qualifications and resources.  So ask as many questions as you can to get the right lawyer for you and your family.  




  • Questions about schools and services for your child with cerebral palsy or special needs in D.C., Maryland or Virginia?

    If you have a child with cerebral palsy, developmental delays or other significant special needs in the Washington, D.C. area, you are probably always looking for things to make your child's life better, and networking with other parents, counselors and social workers to see if there is anything out there you can be doing to help your special needs child.

    That's why we developed a resource guide for parents of children with special needs.  You see, for years we have seen the courage, patience and persistence of parents we represent in our medical malpractice cases.  Parents who are doing everything they can to make their child's life better.

    Working with parents of children with cerebral palsy, paralysis, shoulder dystocia and developmental delays was the basis for publishing Getting Everything Your Special Needs Child Deserves: A Parent's Guide to Resources It has information about respite care, education, summer camps, social security and other resources that may help your child.

    And it's FREE to every parent with a special needs kid. Bonus Mug comes with order if your child has cerebral palsy!


    So order your copy today by calling (202) 393 - 3320.

    All we ask is that if you have a favorite resource that can help families,

    call or email us at [email protected] and let us know so we can put it in the next edition.

  • When should I contact a D.C. medical malpractice attorney about a medical malpractice case?


    The best medical malpractice attorneys are both selective in the cases they choose and busy. For example, we want to help people with certain types of medical malpractice cases such as cerebral palsy, injuries to children and babies, and wrongful death cases for adults. These are people who are worried about the future of their loved ones and family – how to take care of them.  Those are the kind of people we serve.   

    So as soon as you are suspicious that a patient has been critically injured or has died due to medical malpractice by a hospital, HMO or doctor in D.C., Maryland or Virginia, you should call us and talk it through with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer. Starting the process of investigating and preparing a medical malpractice case earlier always helps the family - it is less stressful and time consuming and you don't have to worry about whether something was missed because you waited too long.

    And with medical malpractice cases, the longer you wait, the harder it is to get an experienced medical malpractice lawyer to even talk to you about your case. The best lawyers won't take cases when the statute of limitations is near because there may not be enough time to really help someone. That's our policy.

    Please give yourself and your family enough time to thoroughly investigate any medical malpractice issue. You can call us at (202) 393 - 3320 to set up a time to speak with you to see if we can help.