Can I recover for medical malpractice if I contributed to my injury?

This is a question that we get asked frequently, so let's unpack it today. Medical malpractice simply means that the doctor, hospital or HMO did not follow patient safety rules - that they did not comply with the standard of care for your condition or injury, and that following the standard of care would have prevented your injuries and damages. If you have a serious catastrophic injury where you can't work and need lifetime medical care, your harms and losses could require significant money, just so your family can take care of you. 

Many people suffer from medical mistakes, and they never get compensated for their injuries. Read our blog here on the myth of too many medical malpractice cases

Some people suffer from medical malpractice but cannot receover because if a jury finds that you've contributed to your injury in any way, you may not be able to get compensated for your injuries. 

In medical malpractice cases in Maryland, D.C., and Virginia the law is very similar on this issue.

Yes, if you've contributed to your medical malpractice injury, you may not be able to recover anything in Court. 

But, you need an experienced attorney on your side to advise you as to what behaviors are viewed as a patient contributing to their own injury and what are not - that will focus on the specific medical treatment and circumstances surrounding your medical condition and medical care.  That's something we can do, and we will be able to help you navigate the system in a way that feels most comfortable for you. 

Order one of our guides or books on medical malpractice so you and your family can get a basic understanding of this complicated process.

If you believe you were hurt by your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, nurse assistant, or other healthcare provider, give us a call today at 202-393-3320 and you will be able to speak to a live person that can answer your questions and connect you with attorneys that have the experience to help you with a serious medical malpractice case in D.C., Maryland or Virginia.