Get the Right Lawyer to Appeal Your Long Term Disability Denial
Do you need a lawyer for your long-term disability appeal? The answer is almost always yes.
If you have been denied long term disability benefits or your benefits have been terminated, and you have a serious medical condition or injury that prevents you from working, you probably have too much to lose by trying to appeal yourself.
And under ERISA (the federal law that governs most long term disability plans provided as an employee benefit through your job) your appeal is the most critical component. Here's why your appeal is so important:
- The appeal goes to the disability insurance company that just denied or terminated your benefits (that sounds crazy that the same company gets your appeal, but that is the inital step).
- You can add evidence - medical records, opinion letters, reports from experts and specialists, diagnostic test results, etc. that supports the fact that you cannot work due to your illness or injury, and that the insurance company will have to consider.
- You need to argue your case in your appeal, based on the law and the analysis of the insurance company's decision to deny benefits under the policy and their denial letter.
- You can add witness testimonials from people who know your condition, what you are going through, and what your job requires
- You can rebut the evidence the insurance company used to deny or terminate your long term disability benefits - did they have a physician review your records, do they have surveillance video they say shows you can work, do they think your job is physically less demanding than it is, or that you could work in another, similarly defined job?
- Your appeal is part of the administrative record that a federal judge will use to decide your case for long term disability benefits if your case goes to court.
There are certain types of cases that people can handle on their own, especially if they have a minor injury (and we tell people that every day). But this isn't one of them.
If you have a medical condition, illness or injury that is severe enough that you can't work for 6 months, it is probably permanent and may prevent you from working for the rest of your life, even with good medical care and treatment.
That is a lot of income to replace - which is why you have long term disability insurance that you either purchased or were provided by your company as part of your employee benefits and compensaton package.
And most people don't know how complex and difficult long term disability cases are (most lawyers won't even handle these cases). But don't risk everything you've worked hard for on a system that combines law, medicine, regulations, and insurance - get the right lawyer to help you and your family, so you can focus on getting better.
Get The Information and the Help You Need Today
You're making a big decision for yourself and your family, and we are here to provide the information you need to make the right choice. Download our free report Claim Denied: The Ugly Truth About Long Term Disability today at no cost or obligation. After reading this free report you will be 100% more prepared to navigate your future with a long term disabilty claim.
Ready to Speak to An Attorney Today?
We're here to help, so call us today at (202) 393 - 3320 to talk about your long term disability issue. We have a number of options to help you wherever you are in the process, even if you're just applying and have questions or concerns. And if you received a letter from your insurance company denying or ending your long term disability benefits, send that to us at [email protected] and we will review it at no charge, in confidence and with absolutely no obligation. We'll give you options and what we think your next steps should be based on the specifics of that denial letter.