Hurt at work? Don't rely on your employer to give you the correct information on workers compensation.

One of my new clients, with a work related shoulder injury in D.C., recently brought me his employer's "How to file a workers' compensation claim" instructions.  This employer's workers compensation instructions has a section "How to file a claim" which says:

   1. Notify your supervisor immediately that you are injured. 

   2.  Complete our form and submit it to your supervisor.

That's it.  OK, you should notify your supervisor and report your injury as soon as possible.  But filling out a form for your employer does not constitute filing your workers compensation claim in D.C., Maryland or Virginia. 

Depending on where you work and were injured, D.C., Maryland and Virginia have specific forms, procedures and deadlines to file a workers compensation claim with the proper city or state agency. 

Just filling out a form - even if your supervisor, safety man, HR person, etc. says they filed your claim - is not protecting your rights.

Don't rely on your employer for this when you have an injury at work - even if they are well meaning or think they are helping you, they don't know.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment