Hit-And-Runs are everyone's worst nightmare. There's nothing worse than making your way to school, work, or home, and being rear-ended by someone at no fault of your own, only to notice that they are driving away!
What to do in this situation can be tricky.
Here are some simple, easy-to-follow steps to protect yourself after an accident.
1) Calm down so you think: This is the most frustrating thing ever, but if you try to relax, you'll think better and do the best in your situation. If you're doing things out of panic, it's more likely you'll do something outside of your interest.
2) Call the police: This is always one of the first things you should do when any type of automobile accident occurs. Give the operator relevant information about where you are, if you're hurt, and what happened.
3) Gather information: This step should be done in tandem with step number 2. Try to look around for information before, during, and after your call to the police. Try to get the most detailed information possible from the other driver and their car. Can you remember the driver - gender, height, build, etc? Can you remember the vehicle - make, model, car, license plate number? The more information you can recall (or write down with that handy notepad and pen you keep in your glove box) the more likely the police will be able to find the driver. Lastly, are there any witnesses? Ask for their names and contact information.
4) File a police report when the police arrives: Even if the police doesn't find who hit your car, this will make the process of filing an auto claim with your insurance company much quicker.
Most times, uninsured motorist coverage will cover the cost of a hit-and-run and will not make your premium for your policy go up.
5) Get help from an experienced attorney: If you've been seriously hurt in an accident where the other driver fled the scene, the attorneys at Donahoe Kearney can help. All we do is help people in the DC, Maryland and Virginia area get their lives back after a serious injury.
Call us today at 202-393-3320 for a free, no obligation, consultation with one of our attorneys. But first, order your free copy of our e-book, The Ultimate Guide to Accident Cases in D.C., Maryland and Virginia to learn more about the process of a personal injury case, what to expect from the insurance company (and in some cases, whether you even need a lawyer).
But don't wait. The sooner you get the right information, the smoother and less stressful you make the process, the more time you have to focus on getting the medical treatment you need, getting better, and getting back to normal life.