Here are some tips for what to do if you are hurt at work on a construction site.

Get The Help You Need Now
Contact us directly 202-393-3320

Image courtesy of Google Images


Have you been hurt or know someone that has been hurt while working on a construction site? What did you do? Did you know what to do when the injury occurred? If you have been hurt on the job (especially working on a construction site), there are steps that need to be taken to ensure that you're going to get the medical care and benefits you need to protect your livelihood. We have the information you will need and can pass along to friends and family when you have been hurt on the job (construction site) or know someone that has been hurt on the job.

What to do when you have been hurt on the job, especially working on a construction site:

  1. Report the injury to your employer or construction site manager, immediately. DO NOT WAIT. It is not enough to say, "my back hurts". You MUST specifically tell the employer (or site manager) that you hurt your back (or other body part) on the job performing a work activity.
  2. Record the name and the job title of the person you have notified and the date that you have reported the injury.
  3. If there were witnesses, obtain all their information. 
  4. Photograph the area in which the injury took place. Take photos of your injury as well and any equipment and tools that are involved in your injury.
  5. Seek medical attention immediately. Even if it seems to be minor at the time, continuous use may aggravate the injury and make it worse.
  6. Keep a record of all medical treatment you have received involving the injury. After the immediate treatment that is required, in D.C. you have the right to right to choose your own treating physician. (Maryland allows you to choose your own doctor and in Virginia you have to choose from an panel of three physicians provided from the insurance company.)

The most important tip to take away from this is that the employer must be notified about the injury and medical treatment must be sought immediately after. You can still get worker's compensation benefits, but if they are not notified soon after it happens it is just an invitation for the employer and insurer to try and deny the legitimate claim.

We have all of the forms you need to file - just call and we'll send them to you.

If you have anyquestion regarding filing a workers' compensation claim following an injury on the job in DC, Maryland and Virginia, contact our law office by phone or email at (202) 393-3320 or [email protected]. We look out for our clients and want to make sure they are receiving all of the information available to them. That is why we wrote Protect Your Rights: The Ultimate Guide to D.C. Workers' Compensation. To obtain your FREE copy, contact us, even if we cannot take your case you are still entitled to this information.


Frank R. Kearney, Attorney-at-Law
Connect with me
Experienced DC Workers' Comp, Long Term Disability & Accident Lawyer
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment