Reporting a Car Accident to the Other Driver's Insurance Company

As experienced car accident lawyers helping people who were seriously hurt in car accidents in the D.C. area, we have a lot of advice and strategies for our How to Report a Car Accident in DC, Maryand or Virginiaclients.

And one of the questions we get a lot is - how do I report an accident that wasn't my fault.

First, and we emphasize this with everyone - get the medical treatment and care you need right away.  That should be your first priority.  If you are rushed to the hospital for surgery after an accident, don't worry about getting all of the details and info from the driver that hit you, the police and the witnesses.  We can get that for you later - focus on your injuries and getting the emergency medical care you need for your injuries.  We have a lot of information on what to do after an accident in the DMV, but here are the basics on reporting the claim.

Once you've had the paramedics and the emergency room doctors and nurses take care of you, here's how you report the accident:

  • If you have the other driver's insurance information (he should have an insurance card you can take a picture of that has the name and contact info for his insurance company) call them and report the accident.  We can do this for you if you are still in the hospital or can't do this because of your injuries.
  • You should always get the contact info for the driver who hit you in D.C., Maryland or Virginia.  You may have to call him if you didn't get the insurance info at the scene of the accident or later.  Again, contacting the other driver is something we do for you.
  • Request the police report - every police department has a procedure or form for getting a copy of the traffic accident police report.  If the police officer came to see you at the hospital to find out how the accident happened, he or she should give you a card with his or her name and contact information plus usually a report number.  In most cases, the police report takes about 5-7 days to complete.

Don't Give The Other Driver's Insurance Company A Recorded Statement Until You've Talked To An Experienced Accident Lawyer.

There are a lot of reasons for this - most people with a serious injury after an accident are on pain medications, worried about their job, their medical bills, their injuries.  And in a lot of pain.

It's not a good time to be giving a statement to an experienced insurance adjuster who is trying to use that to deny or limit the amount of your settlement.  Remember, these insurance adjusters have years of training and experience and have taken thousands of statements.

Don't give a recorded statement to the other driver's insurance company until you are ready - many times they will call you repeatedly if the driver who hit you reported the accident to them.  You don't have to talk to them.

You will have plenty of time to deal with the legal and insurance issues from your accident while you are recovering from your injuries.  Plus, that's what we do - take away the stress, uncertainty and anxiety of the process, so you can focus on getting better.

If You Want To Work With An Experienced Car Accident Lawyer For Your Serious Injury Case, You Deserve The Best Service And The Right Lawyer For You And Your Family.

You've done the research on hiring the best lawyer for your accident case.  Call us today at (202) 393 - 3320 for a free, confidential, no obligation consultation and strategy session on what you need to do next.

You'll come away with a plan for your case plus a copy of our book that explains the process of car accident cases, The Ultimate Guide to Accident Cases in the DMV.

And if you don't think we're the absolute best lawyers for your accident case, we'll help you find another lawyer who can help and give you a free Lawyer Evaluation Form to give you the questions you should ask any lawyer who says they handle serious injury cases in D.C., Maryland or Virginia.

But don't wait - if we are the best fit for you and your family, we want to get started helping you today!

One final note - we limit our law practice to serious injuries only. But don't worry, if you have a minor injury, we'll still give you a lot of free stuff to help with your accident claim, and help you find the right lawyer for your case.

Frank R. Kearney, Attorney-at-Law
Connect with me
Experienced DC Workers' Comp, Long Term Disability & Accident Lawyer
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment