Get uninsured motorist coverage to protect you and your family if you're hit by an uninsured driver or one without adequate insurance.

We've been writing about the need to increase your uninsured motorist coverage for years now.  The simple reason is that UM coverage protects you, your family and your passengers when you're hit by someone without adequate insurance.  The coverage, which you buy and is on your auto liability policy, is relatively inexpensive as well.

Here's a tragic bicycle accident death case that illustrates this.  A young girl was hit and killed in Richmond - but the accident could have been in Alexandria, Fairfax, PG County - it doesn't really matter.  The guy who hit her had minimal insurance and is now in jail because it was a hit and run accident - he must have caused the accident and left the scene.  He has no assets and although may come from a wealthy family, they aren't responsible for his liability because he's an adult.

In a civil, wrongful death case, the only real option for the family was the available insurance coverage.    For any car accident or death, that would include uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage and it doesn't appear there was adequate coverage.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting any amount of money would bring any satisfaction to a parent who has lost a child.  Its not possible.

But accident and death cases are also about making up for harms and losses that can be replaced - like paying for medical treatment for a child's lifetime injuries, replacing income that will pay the mortgage, send the kids to college, and help a family get on with life.

Check your insurance policy today.

Having insurance that helps you when the other person doesn't have any is a need. My mother recently got in a pretty bad wreck. The person that t-boned her didn't have insurance. This has been a horrible situation, but we are making it through. If we are in the situation again, we will be better prepared.
by Elisa Jed February 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM
i understand that some insurances give better prices if the driver has taken defensive driving from places like Would having a defensive driver's course on your history record help in a auto accident case?
by Elisa Jed January 16, 2014 at 08:39 PM
Post a Comment