Here's a problem when you're injured in D.C. on the job or due to a work related accident.  They can send you to a functional capacity exam (FCE) to get clarification on your work restrictions or limitations.  What's wrong with that - absolutely nothing, as long as the FCE facility is not in the tank for insurance companies (and most of them are).

Like certain IME (Independent, or as we like to call them, Insurance Medical Exam) doctors making tons of money from insurance companies to examine an injured worker for 2 minutes and dictate a 5 page report, there are certain biased facilities that administer FCEs - if the person who is hurt can't lift enough to do their job because of the injury, some of these physical therapists will try to say he is "exhibiting pain behavior" or has "low pain tolerance" or is limited due to perceived pain, etc. - all components of "symptom magnification."

Does a physical therapist have the education, background and training to make that determination?  Of course not.  But if the insurance company pays for it, they will say it.

Have you been injured at work and have been scheduled an FCE? Don't wait to give us a call at 202-393-3320. You don't want to attend an FCE without some guidance, so at the very least order our book about workers' compensation today.  


Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment